Lemon slice: Love, Lemons & LebaneseDairy free . Gluten free . Paleo . raw . Refined sugar free . Vegan
Dedicated to mum. Thankyou for the love, lemons and the Lebanese.
How this all started: A Lebanese heritage means that nothing is done by halves. It’s full generosity, full heart, bold and well meaning. Leading to conversations with my mother…
Mum: ” Let me give you a couple of lemons off your dad’s tree”
Me: *pre-empting lemon onslaught as Lebanese people don’t do halves *
” Mum great idea but remember I’m 1 person and can only have so many lemons.
Mum: ” Relax, I’ll only give you a couple”
*Mum arrives with 38 lemons and limes.
Once again on the hunt for a sweet treat with minimal sugar, a bag full of lemons and limes and an optimistic hopefulness – I found lime slice territory. Where lime tart meets lime cheesecake, but a much much healthier version that you can gobble more of leaving you with health benefits instead of a food coma.
Benefits of this slice :
- It’s delicious!
- It’s raw – No bake. Super easy and quick.
- Its nutritious! Contains protein & nutrients naturally occurring in cashews like magnesium, phosophorus, zinc and potassium & walnuts like zinc, iron and potassium.
- Contains healthy fats that are great for your skin, heart, keeping you full for much longer & maintaining energy levels.
- Diet friendly
- Dairy free
- Refined sugar free
- Gluten Free
- Paleo Friendly
Ok without further ado, let’s do this.
- 1 cup of walnuts or pecans
- 4 large dates
- 1 tablespoon lemon/lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut oil or MCT oil to grease Springform Pan
- 2 cups of raw cashews soaked in warm water for 3 hours
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Lemon or lime Zest (2 in total)
- 1/5 cup Lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- A pinch of salt
- 2 heaped tablespoons of mct oil or coconut oil.
- Mixed berries – Frozen or fresh
- Lemon Slice
- Lemon rind lightly grated over the cake.
Step 1: To make the crust: Blend walnuts, dates, lemon juice and a pinch of salt in a food processor or blender.
Step 2 : Remove contents and roll into a ball. Use coconut oil or MCT Oil if you have some as it has no scent to line the springform pan. Press contents into the bottom of a pre-oiled 7inch Springform pan and evenly distribute. Set aside.
Step 3: To make the cream Filling: Drain cashews, rinse and blend in a processer/blender.
Step 4: Add coconut oil, almond milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, coconut oil, honey & salt into cashew butter and blend.
- Pause * Taste. If you like it, do a happy dance. Add more honey if you would like it sweeter.
Step 5: Once the filling is to your liking. Pour on top of crust. Evenly spread the filling.
Step 6: Garnish with lemon zest & a slice of lemon/lime. Cover and put in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Remove from the fridge, pop open the springform pan, and serve to family members in an attempt to demonstrate that healthy can be delicious too!
Storage: Fridge for a few days, then suitable to freeze in pieces
Serve with berries on top, a cup of tea beside and a big smile up front 🙂
Dedicated to mum. Thankyou.
Written by reemasaabnaturopathy
- April 2022
- January 2022
- July 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- November 2020
- October 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- June 2019
- January 2019
- November 2018
- July 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- November 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017