Your cart is currently empty!
Rocky Road , a smooth operator
After the gloom of my recent 5G opinion piece I thought I would change the topic… to an area that tantalised my tastebuds a little more….
Rocky Road * Insert Drooling Emoji Here *
My homemade Paleo/Keto naughty slice of heaven
Desperate for a chocolate fix that is sweet without the sugar + keto/paleo friendly at the same time the hunt & experimentation began. Credit to Katrina @ Thankfully Nourished for the inspiration.
From scratch. Let the fun begin. I absolutely love making from scratch.
Quick disclaimer here that this was a little expensive! I paid a lot for raw ingredients, using organic where possible. Make sure if you commit to these raw ingredients that you plan on using the rest in other dishes. Otherwise make occasionally for a treat, enjoy the eye candy, or get a group of mates together with each one buying an ingredient and share in the fun.
How to make:
Part 1: DIY Cherry lollies
300g sour cherries (scoop Wholefoods) Or frozen mixed berries
4.5 tablespoons of gelatin
10 drops of monk fruit extract
Part 2 : DIY Marshmallows
1.5 tablespoons of Gelatin GELPRO Gelatin from Gelatin Australia
10 drops of monk fruit concentrate (not 100% necessary but adds extra sweetness)
1/2 cup Xylitol or Coconut sugar if you are part of the population group where Xylitol doesn’t agree with you. I use Xylitol.
A sprinkle of Salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
Part 3: Chocolate Glaze
450g Organic Dark Chocolate – I used Dairy free Loving earth bars from Scoop Wholefoods – creamy coconut mylk chocolate and dark chocolate for a tiny bit more sweetness to offset the bitter. Loving earth is Dairy free
1/2 cup of dessicated coconut (either toasted or raw)
1 cup of macadamias (raw)
- Simmer sour cherries in 40mls of water. Then once warm and soft, blend in a blender.
- In a saucepan add 1/2 cup of water then 4.5 tablespoons of gelatine. Leave for a few minutes.
- Heat & dissolve the mixture without stirring.
- Add pureed cherries to the mixture, stir.
- Pour this mixture into a small baking tray lined with baking paper and set in the fridge for a couple of hours. It should be bouncy like jelly when ready. (I don’t think I’m ready for this jelly!)
- Once done, peel the cherry jelly off the baking paper and chop into pieces on a chopping board.
- Add 1/4 cup of water into a food blender bowl and add gelatin. Set for 5 minutes.
- While waiting in a separate saucepan add 1/2 cup of water , a sprinkle of salt and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence. Pour 1/2 cup of Xylitol into the middle of the saucepan and leave.
- Bring to the boil for 1 minute and allow the Xylitol to dissolve completely.
- Turn off heat, stir.
- Pour into the mixing bowl with the gelatin & add 10 drops of Monk Fruit Extract.
- Using an electric beater mix for up to 5 minutes until it develops a light consistency.
- Pour into a small baking tray lined with baking paper and set in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Take the marshmallow out of the fridge, slice into small squares and set aside.
- Try a piece …hehe
Making chocolate glaze
- To melt the chocolate use a saucepan filled with hot water. Lie a heat proof bowl on top once the water is boiling. Melt the chocolate piece by piece until smooth and creamy
- In a separate bowl prepare the mixed nuts (now chopped), and coconut.
- Pour chocolate in and mix ingredients together, set aside.
Lay the cherry Jellies , Marshmallows into a mixing bowl
Pour melted chocolate over , mix well
On your baking paper lined baking pan, pour the mix in evenly spread, cover with wrap and leave in the fridge.
Your rocky road will be ready in 3 hours. Just slice & serve.